GReeN gRaNNy SmiTHs
iN gOLdEn BuTtErY CrUsT



It's so funny because I was actually in the kitchen with granny smiths and pastry dough exactly a year ago in November making Mini Apple Tarte Tatins and now here I am again, in November, spicing green apples and homemaking pastry pie crust. Call it fate people, call it fate. Oh and another funny thing is that in my post about the Mini Tarte Tatins I called the "apple pie" an amateur in comparison to them. Heh, oh I make myself laugh. I mean, yes, Tarte Tatin is very elegant, simple to make, and super delicious. Yet now I see, apple pie is just simply a classic and holds it own where it cannot be compared to anything else.

I feel my pictures just don't translate how good these pies were. And I have to admit I have not mastered the skill of pastry crust yet. I need to get some major service hours in on them and practice, practice, practice. I also meant to take a picture of a single slice a la mode, I feel that would have sold you a little more. *Not that I am really trying to sell you anything here*
Sooooooo..... I made two pies, both with a bottom pastry crust and then one with an oat crisp topping and one with a pastry crust top. Both very good and the crust WAS tender, flaky, light, and crunchy. And I just love my leaf cutters, they make me feel more *profesh*. I really encourage you' all to try making you own apple pie, it's very rewarding and the perfect time.


Pie Crust

Makes only 1 bottom crust for 9" pie. A 9" pie usually yields 8 slices.
1 cup cake flour, chill in freezer for at least a half hour
1 Tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. unsalted butter, frozen
2 Tbs. ice water

Apple Filling
4-5 Granny Smith apples, really pile them on because they will reduce when baked.
2 Tbs. sugar
1/2 cup thick and globby apple caramel

Crumble Topping:
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
8 Tbs. unsalted butter, chilled

Pie Crust Directions in a food processor:
* Click on THIS LINK for very helpful pie crust tips.

-In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt and put in the freezer along with your butter, and food processor bowl and blade for AT LEAST a 1/2 hour, do more time if you can.
-pour your flour mix into the food processor.
-Cut butter into small 5 chunks and place in food processor.
-Pulse in quick one time pulses until the butter is cut in
-Then slowly add ice water as your continue to pulse.
-Then do a continuous pulse until the dough is mixed and ready to ball.
-Dump the dough into a bowl and with your hands press into a nice small round.
-Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Roll out pastry with sprinkled flour.

Filling Directions:

-Peel, core, and thinly slice apples.
-Place in a bowl and toss with sugar.
-Fill raw pastry shell with half your apples and dot with 1/2 the caramel. Then fill with remaining apples and dot again with remaining caramel.

Crumble Topping Directions:
-Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
-Cut chilled butter into small pieces, add to dry ingredients and mix with finger tips until crumbly.
-Sprinkle evenly over apples. Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated 425 oven, reduce heat to 350 and bake another 25 to 30 minutes until top is golden brown and apples are cooked and bubbly. Cover pie with aluminum foil, if it is browning too fast.
Serve Warm with Ice Cream
THE END!

2 comments:

Amigurumi Girl said...

Your pie looks yummy! I, too, still have issues with pastry crust. I don't know why. My husband has mastered it however... so I guess I don't feel the need to practice on it so much. heh heh Love your little pie bird, I have the same one! Grandma brought it back from England one year for me. Thanks for sharing! Love your blog. (^_^)v

Lisa said...

What a beautiful pie, Ivy! I just made an Apple Pie for dinner tonight. It was a weeknight pie, not pretty at all, but who can resist that apply goodness? I still have have a lot of work to do on my perfecting my pie pastry too but no matter how far it is from perfect it almost always tastes fantastic and makes me glad I made my own.