4.29.2010

Sean's Hummus made by Ivy

When we lived in Erie, Penna. five years ago, there was this little convenient store. We made friends with the owners who were from the middle east and had a take-out businness for meditteranean food. We loved the food and Sean especially fell in love with the hummus they made. To this day, Sean always talks about how good it was with it's strong lemon and garlicky flavor.
So, the other night we decided to have spinach pie, grape leaves, and pita bread for dinner and I was inspired to make homemade hummus. :)
I tried to get as close to "Sean's favorite" as possible and I think I came PRITTY close. Either way, it turned out really good and passed his approval. It's so easy too, you should try it. :)
 THE Recipe
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds (optional for more flavor and overall body)
1-3 tbs ghee or soft-soft butter (optional for richness)
3 tbs olive oil
4-5 tbs lemon juice
3 med-large garlic cloves cut into chunks
a 15 oz can of organic garbonzo beans
2-3 pitted kalamata olives (optional for additional flavor)
Salt and Pepper to taste
(1-2 tbs water for consistency)

-Puree all ingredients together in the food processor until you have your desired consistency.
                                                      (Delicious ghee made by mother)


Dip pita bread and enjoy! OH, and here's a great Pita Bread Recipe from one of my new favorite blogs The Vintage Wife.

Have a lovely day! And plant some echinacea flowers in your garden for summer, they attract butterflies. :)

THE END!

2 comments:

Cedar said...

That hummus sounds delicious. I have never put kalamata olives in my hummus, but I will definitely have to try it soon!

Right now I have a HUGE container full of roasted red pepper hummus in my fridge that I need to use up first.

Thanks for the link to my blog!

Lisa said...

The hummus sounds tasty. I've never put olives or butter in mine but both sound like taste enhancing additions. I'll have to try them.