Homegrown Wild Apple Pie
Yes, I have made apple pie before, I know. This one is special though...becaauuuuse the apples came from my own front yard. Exciting huh.
And my husband had to climb on our roof to get them from the top of the tree, isn't he awesome! I am not sure what variety they are but, they have just the right tartness and are very refreshing. I also like that every apple is unique and a different size and shape. I made the pie making process as easy as possible on myself this time and I am glad I did because being pregnant and standing while coring, peeling, and slicing was tiring this time. I also enjoyed trying out a new spice a friend gave me from a place in Santa Monica called Penzey's. The cake spice she gave me is totally awesome! It's like a pumpkin pie spice blend but way better and it has a very unique flavor, I know I will be using this spice a ton.

Anyway, here's a recipe for the apple crisp pie I made:

SIMPLE APPLE CRISP PIE
4-5 cups apple slices, use a smacky-type apple that is a little tart.
1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 Tbs. mayo, whisked together in a large bowl.
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted
1-2 tbs pumpkin pie spice mix or a combo of cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg etc...
2 frozen Marie Calendar pie shells (I know, I cheated this time to make it easy)

THE OAT CRISP
1 1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1-2 tsp. Penzey's Cake Spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 stick and 2 tbs butter.

-Preheat oven to 375
-While slicing your apples toss them in the bowl with lemon juice and mayo to prevent browning.
-Toss all apple slices with sugar and pumpkin pie spice mix, let sit for 10 minutes.
-Mix your oat crisp in a separate bowl. Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, and cake spice
-In the microwave, half melt your butter (you want some butter solid but soft and some melted)
-With your hands, mix in butter evenly with dry ingredients, set aside.
-Fill pie shells with apples, and drizzle 1/3 cup of the leftover sugar/spice juice on each pie.
-Drizzle the 1/2 stick of melted butter evenly over both pies.
-Crumble Oat mixture evenly over both pies.
 -If you can, place both pies on a cookie sheet covered with foil and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until crust is golden brown and you see some bubble action. My favorite part about baking apples pies is how delicious and dreamy they make the whole house smell.
-Take them out of the oven and let them cool.
-Then eat a slice with vanilla, or in this picture, butter pecan ice cream.
 THE END! See you soon ;)

2 comments:

Suze said...

I have to giggle a little b/c before I read the recipe I saw the crust and was like "how the hell did she make it so perfectly?!" tee-hee! There is NOTHING wrong with cheating on that part! I have never made a pretty crust..I just can't get the crimping thing down.
Apple from your own tree is amazing!! And it looks like a delicious pie!!! YUM!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting it is to bake with your home grown apples! Your pie looks great.