These cupcakes are a perfectly light and refreshing summer treat. I took them to the beach to share with our friends and were loved.
Well, the beach was on Sunday, so I made the cherry filling on friday night and baked and frosted the cupcakes on saturday evening.
Simple Cherry Filling ( that you really could use for any fruit):
1 cup dark pitted cherries(fresh is always better and can be found in the summer anyway but if you need to use frozen, it's ok.)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Nice and pretty cherries with the pit and stem for garnish after frosting.
- Combine cherries, water and vailla in a saucepan. simmer for 10 minutes with medium-high heat.
- In a separate bowl mix sugar and cornstarch together.
- Stir in sugar mix to cherries.
- Cook until texture is thick and "jammy"-you know jam like (10 minutes or less)
- Take off burner to cool and add lemon juice to taste. Having a semi-tart filling will be nice with the sweet cake and frosting.
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean
1 egg-lighty beat in a sepaate bowl before adding to other ingredients
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place your cupcake papers on a cookie sheet ready to fill and set to the side. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Melt white chocolate, butter, milk, and sugar in a double broiler(if you don't have a double broiler then fill a pot with 1-2 inches of water and let simmer, place a glass mixing bowl over the pot) a double broiler is used so ingredients don't burn.
- While waiting for mixture to become melted and smooth, cut your vanilla bean in half and save one half for the frosting recipe. Slice the other half open longwise and scrape out what is inside the bean and whisk into melted mixture
- Once all is melted and smooth take the bowl off the water pot and set to cool for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add your egg and vanilla extract.
- Mix Flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of choclate mixture to the flour and mix until smooth. repeat with another 1/2 cup until all is incorperated. This gradual mixing process helps prevent lumpyness.
- Pour cake batter into the cake papers and bake for 20-30 minutes. You know when they are done if you stick a toothpick in them and it comes out clean or if you gently touch the cake and if springs back.
- Let cakes cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Fill a pastry bag with your cherry filling with tip 805 press down into the middle of the cupcake with the pastry tip and lift up inserting filling.
Cherry Almond Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting ( that's a long title for sure):
1 pack cream cheese at room
1/4 cup butter at room temperature
3-4 cups powdered sugar(depending on the sweetness you want but it also has to do with how stiff you need the frosting for decorating issues)
3 tablespons cherry juice for color AND a hinty flavor
2 tablespoons almond extract
1/2 the insides of a vanilla
- Beat Cream Cheese and butter until fluffy, add almond extract, cherry juice, and vanilla bean.
- Add powdered sugar gradually until the consistancy is right for you.
Frost cupcakes by using a pastry bag with either round tip 805 or a large star tip. Top with a cherry.