LAVENDER Lemon S'MORES!

BUT FIRST...
I really want you to meet our new puppy, Buddy...
 
Isn't he just so cute! He's a big love-bug and we adore him. Although, he has chewed up two pair of my flips flops, one pair of my sisters, a lens cap, and some other things, hopefully the list won't get too long. He's a good boy though. :)
Anyway, back to the s'mores...:)
It's been fun to have a friend that lives close by and loves lavender because I have had a chance to experiment and make lavender goodies for her to come over and try. The next thing I want to try is a lavender grill-rub and then maybe I'll give it a rest for a while.

Besides, my lavender buddy, Amy, is moving away! I know! Sad! To New York city, ya, she's moving to New York city! :( !
This past weekend we had a going away bonfire party at the beach for her and I wanted to make her lavender s'mores. So I made lavender lemon marshmallows and graham crackers and had another friend, Gillian, make homemade vegan dark chocolate. She made a pomegranate flavor and a blueberry flavor and they were really super amazing! But, if you're not a dark chocolate person, they may have been a bit too bitter for you. I think it was like 90% cocoa, so, strong, but very good and it balanced out the s'more beautifully. *In my pictures I used a store-bought chocolate with raspberry bits and it was good in the s'more as well.

So, for the marshmallows and crackers I basically just modified the graham cracker and marshmallow recipes I found from Smitten Kitchen - A blog you must check out if you haven't already. It's super profesh with gorgeous pictures. Oh and she's in NY city, that's funny.

For the Marshmallows, I blended about 2 teaspoons lavender and 2 tablespoons lemon zest with the 2 cups granulated sugar and then cooked the sugar as directed etc.. etc...I also added a little Wilton's violet gel food coloring to give them a hint of lavender color (I should have added a little more though) oh well.
The marshmallows took about an hour to whip up and then you have to let them set in the fridge for at least 4 hours but, I let mine chill overnight. At first I was quite worried the sugary goop would not gel, but it did and they were a lot of fun to play with. I am definitely going to try making a few different flavors in the future. One thing I found was that after I cut them, tossed them in powdered sugar, and stored them at room temp (which the recipes says to do), there was a bit of condensation and they lost their powdery-ness the next day. Luckily it only happened to the left over ones I didn't take to the bonfire.

Then, for the Graham Crackers I did pretty much the same thing but blended zest of a whole large lemon and 2 teaspoons lavender with the dark brown sugar needed in the recipe. And I omitted cinnamon from the original recipe.
For the sugar sprinkles I blended 1 tsp lavender and a 1/2 cup natural cane sugar to coat the top of the cookies before baking. I used the skinny round end of a chopstick to mark the dots on the cookies before baking which adds such a cute touch.
I found that using a cookie cutter is much easier too rather than trying to cut straight/pretty/uniform cookies with a knife. I also found that even though the graham crackers were really good, I probably won't make them again. Cut-out style cookies are a little bit of a pain so it just wouldn't be worth it again.
Anyway, the beach-fire party was fun and the s'mores were deeee-licious!
 THE END!
Smores Bars on FoodistaSmores Bars

8 comments:

Holly said...

Wow! Homemade marshmallows-impressive:) Love the lavender the whole idea is awesome!!

Alisa said...

It looks delicious,I love smores!if you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

Lisa said...

These are just amazing!! Very adventurous and simply delightful. I'm not a huge marshmallow fan but your photos have me wanting to try making my own. Something about your description makes the process so appealing. And then there is that lavender froth!

Great post, Ivy! And super cute puppy too...

Stef said...

Your new dog is so cute!! And those s'mores look amazing!!

Suze said...

aw! Welcome Buddy!!! He's so cute! And yes..he is a boy..give him time to calm down! (I have to say that b/c we just added Toto to our mix and he's driving me crazy!)
Those mallows look intense! I'm scared to make them!!

Lucia said...

i like the pictures ;) he-he.
But, really - THEY WERE DIVINE.

Yogihan said...

Aaaah! Buddy is adorable. Banjo the greyhound who is lying next to me on the sofa says hello to Buddy too!
Thanks for the comment... I do miss blogging and being in touch (boo), but I'm still around and my yoga training is going well. Marshmallows are the best fun ever to make! And I've been growing and drying lavender, so I'll be trying lavender marshmallows. And now I have to confess that I've never had s'mores, I guess it's an American thing, but sounds amazing!!! I think I need to talk my hubby into a trip to the states, I'm thinking s'mores and pies, that's what I want to have.

Unknown said...

Ivy! These were the most amazing s'mores I've ever had! Thank you for making me lovely lavender treats and for being such a lovely friend. That's such a sweet picture of Buddy. He really is a sweet dog. I miss you!