It's October!
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
and I made...Chocolate Rose Meringue Cookies
The reason October National Breast Cancer Month is so important is because I think everyone has been  affected my this monster in one way or another. I actually lost my grandmother, "Edna Evangeline",  to breast cancer when I was eleven. It was difficult for me and a long battle for her that breaks my heart to this day.
And now I have heard of and known people who are breast cancer survivers, which is awesome!
I have a sister-in-law who lives on the east coast and I don't see very often but, she is fighting breast cancer right now and I have seen how strong she has been through this season in her life. I am sooo, for a lack of a better word, blown away by her and admirer her character and faith.

I actually wish I was a better person who had my act more together to raise some money but, this year, all I can do is give you links to supporting sites. Oh, and buy some products to benefit breast cancer research and make these cookies in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month. :)




-Article: Seven Ways you can help support  Breast Cancer Research

I think Next year, I want to organize a bake sale/craft sale where all the profits can be donated to Breast Cancer research. Why don't I think of these things earlier? I am putting it on my calendar to plan for next October.
So, every time I make these meringues, I REALLY enjoy making them. You can do so much with them. They are simple to make, and they look really messy but cool. You have seen them HERE and before that, HERE. But I am giving you the full recipe again. I swear it's easy-you must try at least once. :)

This version was inspired by my mother. Awe, I know. :) She gave me a tin of this beautiful tea that inspired me to do a rose chocolate meringue cookies.

CLOUD MERINGUE COOKIES:

-Prepare a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and preheat oven to 275 F.
-Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips or cut up chunks in a small bowl over a 1/2 cup of simmering water in a pot. (AKA-homemade version of a double-boiler which you could buy HERE for lots of money if you wish.)
Set aside.
Also note that for the chocolate you could use any of your favorite chocolate bars too or even butterscotch chips. One of my favorites is this raspberry chocolate bar that would be awesome in these meringue cookies.
 -In another larger bowl, heat 4 egg whites and 1 cup of sugar in a bowl over a homemade version of a double boiler. :)
-Whisk this mixture for about 7 minutes until the sugar has dissolved completely and the mixture is quite hot.
-Take the egg whites off the heat and beat with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes until you have soft peaks.

(If it takes you longer than 15 minutes to whip theses into a meringue-something went wrong and you should start over. :( I know.
-Then add 1-2 Tbs of your flavoring...Vanilla, Rose extract and chocolate rose tea leaves in this case, peppermint, almond extract etc...
-Continue to whip a couple more minutes until you have stiff meringue peeks.
 -Then separate the meringue if you want a couple different color ribbons in your cookies. Dye one batch of meringue with a couple drops of food coloring, in this case, red.
 -Then gently fold your chocolate and color meringue together leaving ribbons of your chocolate and color.
 -With two large spoons, spoon the meringue into fun and messy clumps that are about 3 tbs onto your parchment paper and about an inch or so away from each other. Sprinkle anything you like to decorate them before baking. In this case I used pearl dragees and the Chocolate Rose Tea from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.
-Bake at 275 for 20-45 minutes depending on how big your cookies are. You want them to be crispy on the outside and a bit chewy on the inside. I did minis this time and baked them for 20 minutes.
THE END!

5 comments:

Lucia Morgan said...

Lovely cause. and these are so purdy. :)
your so sweeeet. <3

Anonymous said...

aha! now I have zee recipee!!!
the world will now be mine--divine cookie monster will eat all the creations and thrive! Haa--haaa hheee he!

Ivy said...

To above anonymous commenter-You're CRAZIE!

Anonymous said...

What a great post for a good cause.

Lisa said...

Gorgeous cookies Ivy! Meringue Cookies are one of the few recipes I have from my mother, who died of breast cancer at age 35. I really thought we would have made more progress against this disease by now. Still, tremendous advances have been made. Thanks for the links and another great post!