Whiskey and Blueberry Ice Cream
I made this ice cream to enjoy with my hubby tonight AND also for the Eagle Brand Ice Cream Recipe Contest over at Scoopalicious
The contest ends Wednesday, August 11th so you still have time to enter! It's fun, you should totally do it! :)
I started out wanting to make just blueberry ice cream with lemon but when I saw the bottle of whiskey on the counter, I decided to give it a shot.
Why did we have a bottle of whiskey? You may wonder. Well, we are hard drinkers and love us some whiskey! No, um... I actually have been sick with a terrible cold and finally decided that a hot toddy would cure me. So Sean looked up the recipe, went out and got the ingredients and made me a Hot Toddy before bed. Boy did it conk me out, that's for sure.  
Anyway, this ice cream was super easy and really very, very good. I thought it would be tougher w/o the ice cream maker but it almost seemed easier. I think I may use this condensed milk for my ice cream more often, it gives it a good creamy-ness that isn't too thick. I also like this recipe because it can be very versatile as you can substitute any fruit in place of my blueberries. And any liquor** you want, Perhaps Chambord or Grand Marinier?

My Recipe
Ingredients:
2 cups blueberries
2 1/2 shots whiskey
4 tbs honey
3 tbs lemon juice
1 14 oz can Eagle Brand Condensed milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup rice milk or a low-fat milk
Steps:
1. Prepare a square cake pan that can fit in your freezer, line with plastic wrap and set aside.
1. Heat blueberries, honey, lemon juice, and whiskey for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Then let cool.
2. Pour blueberry mix into blender
3. Add Condensed milk, heavy cream, and rice milk
4. Puree all ingredients in blender.
 5. Then pour into a the plastic lined cake pan and cover with plastic wrap. *Freeze.

*I froze the mix for 24 hours and the ice cream stayed soft, it must be the condensed milk. huh. OR maybe it was the **whiskey?
UPDATE: After a week, this ice cream still kept it's nice soft ice cream texture.
-Then Serve when ready. I made the ice cream cones as well and will share in another post.
If you try the recipe please let me know how it works out for you.
THE END!
Oh...Check out these Whiskey Cupcakes posted over at Cake Spy.
 P.S. Buddy says, Hello. :)

12 comments:

Linoleum Rose said...

XD
Nice twist.

Chele said...

Fantastic colour!

Barb MacFarland said...

Do you have to use rice milk or would regular milk be ok? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not sure why the rice milk... is it for flavor or some other reason?
Thanks!

Ivy said...

Hey Barbie!
I revised my recipe. You can add regular milk. I added rice milk to make the ice cream a little less thick because at first it was a little too custard-y to for me.
Hope you try it. Let me know how it turns out! :)

Lisa said...

That sounds so fun and I love the color! Who else would ever think to put whiskey in blueberry ice cream? Now I want to try it.

Anonymous said...

I love the colour of this ice cream. Love some booze in it too! Very nicely done.

Tina said...

As usual you amaze me! This looks so fun and the addition of whiskey makes it even better. Thanks for entering...Tina @ scoopalicious

Garcon de Croissant said...

This is such an interesting combination. How strong is the whiskey flavor in the ice cream?

Ivy said...

You can definately taste the whiskey but it's not overbearing(in my opinion).

Jane said...

Well, as our Scot/Irish head of household has just turned a new leaf over to whiskey: We must try!
What kind of whiskey, Scotch single malt or an American made brand? American whiskey's are sweeter tasting, and are very different really in flavor, color and quality. When will you do something with Tequila? or? Have you already?
P.S. Hi Buddy, you cutie!

Unknown said...

Ivy - so creative! I like that this doesn't require an icecream maker, since I don't have one. And I miss Buddy, again. What a sweet picture of him.

Jessica said...

Beautiful color! I imagine it must have been the whiskey that kept it from freezing entirely, but I'm not sure. Either way, this looks quite delicious!

jessyburke88@gmail.com