Lime Coconut Pistachio and Avocado Ice Cream Cupcake in a Bitter-Sweet Chocolate Shell topped with Pistachio Candy Brittle
This ice cream cupcake is for the 2010 ice cream cupcake contest that my lovely blog friends, Stef, Tina, and Bethany have put on for three years now. Check it out HERE at CUPCAKE PROJECT and HERE at SCOOPALICIOUS. Well, whew! This one was a challenge but I got through it and learned a few things. I really love this contest because it forces me to get the crazy ideas I have out of my head and into the real world. Some of my ideas flop terribly and others come out beautifully. I always learn so much in the process of creating these ice cream cupcakes every year. And I always say I will make more throughout the summer but I never do. So I am hoping this year is different because I have a couple other idea I want to make, share, and enjoy. This weekend's weather was just so warm and beautiful. YAY! SUMMER IS HERE! If you ever feel like trying your own version of this creation, here are some recipes below to give a try.
Ivy's Coconut Lime Pistachio Cake Recipe:
Ingredients: 1 1/2 stick butter, room temp 3/4 cup natural cane sugar 3 egg whites 1 cup cake flour 1 cup AP flour 1 1/2 tsp of each baking soda and baking powder Juice of two limes 1/2 cup Coconut milk 1/2 cup toasted and chopped coconut 1 tbs lime zest 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios What to do: -Beat butter and sugar until fluffy -Add egg whites until mixed well and fluffy
-Sift in flours, and baking powder and baking soda -Add pistachio, coconut and lime zest
-Add lime juice and mix well with a wooden spoon -Add coconut milk and beat well for 1 minute -Fill cupcake papers 3/4 of the way and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Ivy's Avocado Ice Cream Recipe:
(Avocado shell made of dark chocolate and filled with avocado ice cream) *Avocado Ice cream with caramelized pistachio sugar and vanilla bean Ingredients: 1 cup 2% or whole milk 1 pint(2 cups) whipping cream 1-3 tsp lime zest 2 tsp vanilla bean paste 3 Avocados Juice of 2 limes Pinch of sea salt 4 egg yolks 1/4 Caramelized pistachio sugar (optional) 1/2 cup natural cane sugar What to do: -Puree meat of three avocados, salt and lime juice until smooth, set aside.
-Heat milk, cream, vanilla bean paste, and lemon zest 5-10 minutes constantly whisking. -Take off heat and let steep -In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks, pistachio sugar, cane sugar until a pale yellow
-Add 1 cup of heated cream to the egg mixture and mix until smooth -Add the avocado puree until smooth -Then slowly add, while whisking, the rest of the cream to the egg mixture until completely mixed in. -Pour the mix back into the pot and heat 5-10 minutes until thick. -Pour into a heat-proof bowl, give it one more whisk and then cover with plastic wrap that touches the surface of the custard. -Chill in fridge for up to 4 hours or overnight. -When ready to make your ice cream, pour into the ice cream maker and churn away.
THE END!

18 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! Amazing! This cupcake is genius. How does it taste?

Maui Fans said...

WE LOVEE IT!! CANT WAIT TO TASTE IT!! and looks sophisticated...Europe here we come.

what kind of wine would we drink with a cupcake like this?

Ivy said...

I think yummy summer margaritas would go best with this-not wine. :)

me said...

I made pistacio cake and pistacio frosting cupcakes this weekend...then I saw your blog. How coincidental!

Jasmine

Ivy said...

Jasmine, I want to see. Did you take pics? :)

me said...

I haven't yet but I can. I'll try remember to tonight.

Unknown said...

Ivy - truly a work of art! You are so creative and talented in the kitchen, and your photographs are beautiful! I didn't see your cupcake in the Flickr group - does it take a while to show up? I think yours will be the best!

Juliana said...

Wowm the cupcakes are adorable...can only imagine how nice they taste :-)

me said...

Here is your visual on my Pistachio Cupcakes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeDU9bgLL2M

Rachel said...

Wow! What an invention! I have no clue when it comes to putting unique tasting things together. Those cupcakes look completely gorgeous and delicious. I'll have to try them.

Anonymous said...

Love the title and flavours of these cupcakes! Very well sone.

Yogihan said...

Ivy, you are such and amazing cupcake creator... so creative, these cupcakes are gorgeous and sound delicious. Oh, and the lavender Ice cream is making me want to get an ice cream maker!

Janelle said...

I've very wary of odd flavor combinations, and I can't quite wrap my head around avocadoes in a cake, but this is beautiful. I'd be hard pressed to make it myself, because I don't know if I would like it, but it sure is pretty to look at! I can tell you put a lot of work into it. I do love pistachio toffee, though.

Big Boys Oven said...

awesome! awesome, I just love the colour! very refreshing!

Suze said...

HOLY SMOKES Honey!!! Those look AMAZING! Well done!!

Lisa said...

Ohhh! Ahhh! You make such wonderfully imaginative ice-cream cupcakes! These are, once again, inspiring, both in looks and in combination of flavors and ingredients. I have been so distracted and busy lately that I totally missed the ice-cream cupcake party but I knew you'd come through with something to be proud of!

Lisa said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I am totally jealous of your weather!

Rose said...

Oh these look SO SO good! I love pistachios so much. Although once I bought salted pistacios for a recipe instead of natural and it came out a disaster!
And avocado icecream, wow, how unusual. Im curious about the taste.

Rose