BIRTHDAY FUN!


Okay so it was my handsome and brilliantly funny hubby's birthday on Sunday and I threw a "suplise" birthday party for him. We had so much fun. I gave him Pee-Wee's Big Adventure on DVD, so we watched some of that. I gave him Scatergories, so we played that. And I gave him a bottle of Grand Marinier, which he loves, and so he shared a little of that.
The best part though, of course, was making good food for people to eat!
I had so much to do at the last minute though that 2 friends offered to help me in the kitchen. I think you can't have a party w/o your guests helping you in the kitchen right. :) Thanks Amy and Melissa! Cooking for 12 in my little kitchen... SCARY. The most I have cooked for is like, five people so, but yeah, it turned out fine.

I made Lobster Ravioli with a garlic butter alfredo sauce. My new favorite discovery.
Lobster Ravioli
(serves 2 people)

1 package Lobster Ravioli from Trader Joe's
3-4 tablespoons butter
2 small-medium garlic cloves sliced into round slivers
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning mix with no salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
¼ - ½ cup Alfredo sauce in jar non-refrigerated from Trader Joe's.
Shredded lobster pieces (optional if you can find it mix in with the sauce)

Boil Lobster Ravioli as directed on package.

While pasta is cooking,
In medium saucepan melt butter and add garlic-do not let brown just sizzle.
Then take saucepan off heat and mix in the Italian seasoning and alfredo sauce. Put mixture back on low heat just to keep warm.

Drain ravioli well in strainer then add them to the alfredo mixture in the saucepan until well coated.

Serve on plate with nice green garnish of some sort like long thin chives, italian parsley sprig, or little basil sprig, maybe even caviar- that would look look cool.

I Served it with Charles Shaw-souvignon blanc, salad with Gerard's champagne dressing, and garlic bread.

ITALIAN GARLIC BREAD
1 whole loaf of italian bread sliced horizontally
1 stick soft butter
3 tablespoons minces garlic in the garlic crusher (about 5-6 cloves)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
-Mix all together and spread generously on your italian bread.
put the loaves straight on your overn rack at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes
watch the bottoms so they do not burn.
Take out of oven and cut into slices as soon as they are cool enough to touch.
Put in bread basket with clean kitchen towel to keep them warm.

Then.....for dessert I made my hubby's favorite, Cherry Junk Pie. It's a family tradition :)
I made him a separate little serving in a remekin and put a candle in it so we could sing happy birthday to him.

Cherry Junk Pie (for a standard pie dish)
Ingredients:
Graham cracker crust
Dream Whip
Cream cheese
Powdered sugar
Milk
2 cans Cherry pie filling
Optional-vanilla or vanilla beans, Grand Marinier

Make a graham cracker crust

1 1/2 cups craham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter

-Mix crumbs and sugar together then add butter and mix well. I usually use my clean hands as it seems to be easiest.
pour crust mixture into pie dish and press firmy on bottom and sides evenly. You can use the bottom of a measureing cup to get the bottom flat and even if you want.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Take out of oven and let it completely cool while making the filling.

The filling
1 envelope Dream Whip
1/2 cup milk
8 oz package soft cream cheese
1 tablespoon vanilla or if you wan to get fancy put some vanilla beans in
1/2 cup powdered sugar
With an electric mixer beat cold milk and Dream Whip until you have stiff peaks, put in fridge.
In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese and powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Then gradually fold Dream Whip into cream cheese until mixed completely.
pour into cool graham cracker crust and put in fridge.
Mix 1 can cherry filling with 2-3 tablespoons Grand Marinier and spoon on top of cream cheese.
chill for at least 3 hours.
You can have another can of cherry filling on-hand just in case there's not enough and people want extra.

I took a test online from LA Health Department to see how safe my kitchen was about six months ago and then they sent me this magnet that now lives on my fridge. One of my guests at the party saw this and was relieved and felt safe to eat whatever I prepared. Thank goodness!:) I thought it was funny-haha. :)

The End

No comments: